Men’s Health Over 40 – How To Build Lower Body Strength and Balance
When you are young, you often feel that your body is invincible. No matter what you put your body through, it will have your back always. But as you grow older, you realize that it is not the case.
After a point in life, it takes regular exercise, a healthy diet, and close care of your health to live a disease or discomfort free life.
Men’s health is a serious issue, and men over 40 need to maintain their fitness levels. So if you find yourself motivated to become fit and build your lower body strength, here is a step by step guide on what you need to do.
The golden rule of fitness for over 40 - never skip warm-up
It goes without saying that getting in shape at 40 would require some serious commitment. There is no such thing as the best workout for 40 year old men since it differs from person to person.
People pick their fitness regime based on their capacity and priority. However, one aspect remains common for all, no matter the age or type of workout — warm-up is a must before a workout.
Men’s health advisories, especially for older men, will always advise you to warm up and stretch before you begin a workout. It loosens your muscles and joints and ensures you do not pick up a serious injury while working out.
Try out some stretches, spot jumps and some basic warm-up exercises before you begin your workout. Fitness over 40 can be tough, so take it easy and don’t wear yourself out too quickly.
What do you want from out of your workout?
Like most other things in life, it helps to have a vision before you begin your workout. So, if you are undertaking an over 40 workout, make sure you know exactly what you want.
Here are a few questions you could ask yourself before embarking on the fitness journey.
- Do you need to get your stamina up or
- Do you want to lose weight?
- Are you looking to build muscle
- Simply wanting to be fit?
Outline your priorities for yourself and tell your gym instructor, if you have one, then your over 40 workout routine can be tailored specifically to your needs.
Simple exercise to try out for strengthening your lower body
The best workout for a 40 year old man would include a bit of everything, but since you are looking to specifically work on your lower body strength, here are a few targeted exercises to try out.
Remember that men’s health is the top priority here and it is more about getting in shape at 40, so only attempt exercise that you can complete without putting too much pressure on your body.
Lunges – One of the most effective exercises for all age types, lunges can help with building muscle over 40.
- Place your hands on your hips, roll back your shoulder and keep our core tight. Then extend one foot forward in a lunge and bend the knee.
- Hold that position for two seconds and then come back to your original position. Repeat with the other leg. Two sets of 30 lunges daily should be enough for your workout.
Partial Squats – Squats, while super effective, can also leave you quite sore because of how high intensity the exercise is.
- While muscle men over 40 easily do close to 100 squats in one go, it might be overkill for beginners. In the interest of men’s health, we recommend partial squats for older men.
- Spread your legs hip length apart, and bring both your hands forward in a prayer position as you do a half squat. Remember to inhale from your nose and exhale from your mouth.
- This exercise is perfect for building muscle over 40 since it tones your thigh muscles and increases your lower body strength.
Calf Exercise – This is truly the best workout for a 40 year old man since it is not too difficult but has many benefits.
- Raise your leg and hug your cal to your chest while trying to keep your spine straight. It might be slightly tricky in the beginning, but with regular practice, you will be able to do it.
- Muscle men over 40 have impeccable balance, and this exercise always features in their routine. It keeps your calf muscles in shape and also helps improve your balance.
- The next time you want to go hiking, this exercise will definitely come in handy.
Eat well and treat your body with respect
A conversation around men’s health is incomplete without the mention of a healthy diet. Fitness is 50% exercise and 50% eating well.
While workout supplements for men over 40 can be easily found online, that alone will not help you build muscle. You have to increase your protein intake and cut back on the junk.
There is no need to go on a strict diet and deprive yourself of your favourite foods, but most men’s health advisories recommend a healthy and balanced diet that takes care of your nutritional needs.
Eat a lot of eggs, meat and high protein food substances. Cut back on the drinking and smoking to see maximum results for your hard work. Pro-tip, read up extensively on workout supplements for men over 40, before you actually invest in one.
Enjoy the process and it will get easier
If the thought of going to the gym makes you want to get back in bed, you are not alone. With old age, it is hard to muster up the same energy for physical activity that you once hand.
However, the trick to stick to your workout routine is to do things that you enjoy. Focus your energy on keeping fit and staying agile, and the routine will automatically seem much more fun for you.
Men’s health is a very important issue, and we are starting a national conversation on it. Join us in this movement and subscribe to our blog for more updates on men’s health issues.